Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mini Spicy Shrimp Rolls

Mini Spicy Shrimp Rolls
When I ventured off to college, oh so far away from my mother, she used to send me care packages full of food and new clothes every so often. One time there was something new in there – a fried spicy dry mixture of dried shrimps and various seasonings.


Her handwritten note that accompanied stated that it was good on rice or tossed with noodles or even sprinkled on some buttered bread. I now know that what she sent me was sambal udang kering or hae bee hiam or just generally a dry sambal made with dried shrimp. It keeps very well just in an airtight container and so travels well to a homesick student across the seas.

But how can a recipe with so few ingredients take so long to make?! I’m looking at the recipe I typed out below with a bit of surprise as yes, that’s what I used and no, it wasn’t quick to make. I reckon I started early afternoon with the chopping of the ingredients for the filling and then finished at about ten at night with the frying (with a break in between for dinner). Most of the time was spent on the rolling, rolling, rolling of the stupid things.

Mini Spicy Shrimp Rolls
makes 150-200.

100g dried shrimp
8 large dried chilies
5 shallots
4 cloves garlic
3 tbsps sunflower oil
1-1.5 tsp salt, to taste
1-1.5 tbsp sugar, to taste

1 packet of large, square spring roll wrappers (I didn’t use the largest ones; I used the next largest that come 40 to a pack, Spring Home brand)
1 egg, beaten

sunflower oil for frying

Soak the dried shrimps in cold water for 15 minutes. Place into a mini chopper or food processor and process until finely chopped. Set aside.

Peel the shallots and chop finely (I used my mini chopper). Set aside. Peel the garlic cloves and chop finely too.

Soak the dried chilies in warm water until soft. Cut into large pieces, discarding the seeds, and blend with a little water until a paste is formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Post